It is really easy to make a Gum Paste daisy. You will just need some supplies and a little bit of patience.
Next week, I am going to teach you how you can make these (I am even going to try to load a video demo!). This week, I am going to tell you what supplies you will need and how to prepare to work with Gum Paste. You will need the following supplies:
1. Ready to Use Gum Paste (color a small amount yellow)
2. The following items which can be purchased separately, or are all contained in the Wilton Fondant and Gum Past Student Kit:
a. Daisy Cut-Outs
b. Thin Shaping Foam
c. Dusting Pouch (prepared, see below)
d. Ball & Veining Tool
3. Non-stick surface or Roll and Cut Mat (or pastry mat)
4. Gum glue (see below)
5. Rolling pin (I would highly recommend using the Wilton 9 inch rolling pin for this)
6. Small paint brush to apply gum glue (use one that is food safe and has not been used for other purposes)
Preparing Your Dusting Pouch:
The dusting pouch is used to help prevent sticking. Open the gathering cord, fill the pouch with equal amounts of cornstarch and confectioner's sugar (1 Tbsp each is plenty). Pull the cord closed and tie. To use, you just need to tap the pouch lightly to sprinkle.
Gum Glue Adhesive:
This adhesive is safe to consume and is used to stick fondant and gum paste pieces on your cakes. To make, break off a small amount (1/4 teaspoon) of gum paste and then break into very small pieces. Dissolve this in about 1 Tbsp of water. It is best to prepare this ahead of time, at least one hour before use. Unused mixture can be refrigerated and used for up to one week.
You can purchase these materials from Amazon:
Wilton Ready To Use Gum Paste
Wilton Gum Paste Modeling Tools
Wilton Fondant Daisy Shape Cut Outs
Wilton Fondant 9 Inch Rolling Pin
Wilton Roll And Cut Mat
Wilton Dusting Pouches