Wednesday, December 1, 2010
Haiti is still desperately trying to rebuild itself following the tragic earthquakes last year. The Heart of Haiti is helping to rebuild Haiti through "Trade, Not Aid." In other words, Heart of Haiti is using commerce and culture to create a social change. Instead of providing one-time funding through charity, Heart of Haiti is creating opportunities for Haitian artisans to earn income with dignity by creating jobs and income for the people of Haiti.
Here are some facts about The Heart of Haiti:
- The Heart of Haiti collection has already led to employment of 350 artists in Haiti and has provided some financial benefits for an estimated 4,000 to 5,000 people in the country
- Each item is designed by a master Haitian artist and made by hand in Haiti
- Each product is made from recycled materials.
- The collection includes 40 different home decor items and accessories
- Products include vases, candleholders, serving trays, picture frames, mirrors, coasters, necklaces, clutch purses and more
- Most items fall in the $25-$60 range
So, what can you do to help? You can buy something from Macy's Heart of Haiti collection to help make a difference! Click here to get started.
I an writing this post to spread the word about Heart of Haiti as a Mom Bloggers Club member program and I will receive a Heart of Haiti pendant as a thank you.
Posted by Jamie Z at 6:54 PM