Friday, April 22, 2011

POM Wonderful Review


 I have had the opportunity to review POM Wonderful 100% pomegranate juice in the past and found it to be quite enjoyable. It reminds me of a sweeter version of cranberry juice. So, when I was given the opportunity to try their new pomegranate/cranberry blend, I was thrilled.

Health benefits of POM Wonderful
POM Wonderful products is backed by clinical research which has supported the following:

  • Improved blood flow to the heart may be associated with regular consumption
  • Decrease in arterial plaque may be associated with regular consumption
  • Drinking pomegranate juice may lower the incidence of LDL oxidation, believed to be a key factor in arterial plaque formation
  • Regular consumption by males with erectile dysfunction may experience erectile improvement
  • Hundreds of tests also show POM to be a superior source of antioxidants, with more potent antioxidants than red wine, grape juice, blueberry juice, cranberry juice, green tea, vitamin C and vitamin E.
Why POM Wonderful is different
  • They are the only brand guaranteed to contain 100% authentic pomegranate juice
  • All-natural and contains no added sugars, preservatives, colors or cheap filler juices
  • POM Wonderful grows their own fruit, pick it by hand, squeeze it with their out proprietary presses and even manufacture their own bottles. 
  • POM Wonderful products are from the US
  • The products are a good source of potassium
  • All products are gluten-free
  • The juices are flash pasteurized to retain both flavor and nutrients
  • POM Wonderful is certified kosher
Review
The shape of the bottle is great! It definitely draws attention to the product and I have had many conversations with people about POM because they could not help to ask what I was drinking.  I received a few16oz bottles. Each bottle is two servings, though I found that I could make each bottle last through about 3 different occasions. It is quite tasty, a bit more sour than the original because of the cranberries.  I enjoy it as a substitute for apple or orange juice in the morning. Because it is tart, it is nothing I would grab if I was extremely thirsty, but it tastes great with a meal.


If you like the taste of pomegranate/cranberry, but find drinking the juice to be too much, you can cook with it!  Check out this recipe from POM:

Jelly Donut Muffins Makes 21 – 24 Muffins

1 ½ cups sugar
2 large eggs
3 cups AP flour
4 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ cup vegetable oil
1 ½ cups almond milk (or milk of your choice)
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp butter, melted, for dipping
½ cup sugar, for rolling
1 tbsp cinnamon, for rolling

1. Preheat oven to 350.  Grease your muffin tins with cooking spray.  Grease well.  You don't want to encourage any muffin stickage.  I promise.

2. Beat together sugar and eggs in a large bowl until fluffy.  In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.  Mix well.  Pour into the sugar/egg mixture and mix until well combined.  Add in the vegetable oil, almond milk, and vanilla.  Stir until well combined.

3. Pour batter into well-greased muffin tins, filling each about 3/4 of the way full.  Bake in a normal oven that works as it's supposed to for about 15 minutes or until the tester comes out clean.  If you are a using an oven that is chronically below the temperature it says it is...then bake for about 25 minutes or until a tester inserted comes out clean.

4.  In one small bowl, melt the butter.  In a second small bowl, combine ½ cup sugar with 1 tbsp cinnamon.  Once the muffins are cool enough to touch, dunk them first in the butter and then in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.  Place them on a wire rack to cool.

5. If you don't want jelly donut muffins, you can stop here.  But if you do, then proceed onward.  Once the muffins are cool, the filling can begin.  Now, if you are adept at all in any way at piping filling into muffins or cupcakes, then go for it.  When I tried to put my cranberry sauce into a piping bag and then pipe it in ... mass chaos ensued and cranberry sauce ended up everywhere BUT inside the muffin.  Plan b.  Coming from the bottom of the muffin, cut a small circle into the bottom of the muffin, only putting your knife about 2/3 of the way through.  Then, using the back of a spoon, pop out this little piece of cupcake.  Pipe or pour some POM cranberry sauce into this hole that you've just created and then put the piece of cupcake that you've popped out back into the hole … i.e. cork it.  Voila!


Buy it here: You can find POM Wonderful products at your local grocer or in bulk through Amazon.

I was provided with a case if POM Wonderful juice for the purpose of writing this review. I was under no obligation to review the product. No other compensation was received and the views expressed here are my own.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I drank a glass yesterday and was on the toilet for an hour, use with caution!

Anonymous said...

Its great and healthy :D

Anonymous said...

I had half a cup this morning and had to leave work early due to vomiting and constant running to the toilet. I won't drink this again.

Anonymous said...

I tried it today and I love the taste, not a problem with any toilet issues. I am glad it is healthy for me, and I am not waisting my time with faulse advertising