Monday, November 19, 2012

Al Fresco All Natural Chicken Sausage Review




al fresco is America's top-selling chicken sausage. They come in 13 flavors including Smoked Andouille, Sweet Apple, Chipotle Chorizo, and Sweet Italian.  These chicken sausages are made with lean, skinless chicken meat and only the freshest of herbs and spices. They have no artificial ingredients, are gluten free, and have 70% less fat than traditional pork sausage and are also high in protein and low in carbs - making it a healthier choice.

Review: We were given several sausages to review. Since sausage is one of my husband's favorite foods, he was excited to have the opportunity to contribute to a review! I was really impressed by the different flavor options and was hopeful that my husband would like them as I am always trying to find ways to encourage healthier eating in my household. 

Sweet Italian - My husband seemed to enjoy the sausage more and more with every bite. He said it tasted like regular sausage and that he would have never guessed that it was chicken. "It is better than any other prepackaged sausage I have purchased before". Woohoo!

Sweet Apple -  I am really not much of a sausage lover; however, this flavor intrigued me. For the first time I can honestly say that I enjoyed a sausage flavor! It was sweet and the flavors of apple and maple were prominent and blended well with the chicken sausage to create a very unique flavor that I loved. I would definitely eat this one again!

Country Style Breakfast Sausage - For this variety, I decided to try one of the many recipes the company has listed on their website (with some minor modifications):

Chicken Sausage Breakfast Burritos
Ingredients
1 8oz package Country Style Breakfast Chicken Sausage (4 links)
4 eggs
4 Tbsp skim milk
4 burrito-sized tortillas
4 Tbsp reduced fat cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Slice chicken sausage on the diagonal into 1/4" pieces.  
Saute sausage and green pepper in a skillet sprayed with oil, until sausages are browned.
Whisk eggs, milk, and salt and pepper.
Add egg mixture to pan and scramble with the sausage and peppers.
Remove from heat, spoon 1/4 of the filling onto each tortilla and top with 1/4 of the cheese.
Wrap the tortillas and bake at 360 degrees for 10 minutes.
Slice into 1/3's and serve. 
Optional - serve with fresh salsa.

Results: 




My husband was thrilled with the burritos. Baking them made the tortilla seal so they was really easy to eat. I tried a bite and thought they were really delicious and the sausage was very flavorful.  My son enjoyed them as well and is a huge fan of sausage. He was not aware that the sausage was chicken sausage and did not seem to know the difference at all.

After trying all the varieties, my husband said that Al Fresco has become his favorite pre-packaged sausage. Wow! He is a fan of the flavor and I will admit I liked these better than regular sausage myself. I am also thrilled that these have less fat. Looks like Al Fresco will become a regular grocery list item for us!




Buy it here: You can find al fresco in the refrigerated dinner sausage or all-natural meat section of supermarkets, grocery stores, mass merchants and clubstores nationwide and are also available for purchase at www.alfrescoallnatural.com. The suggested retail price is $5.29 for a 12 oz package.

I was provided with the above mentioned products for the purpose of facilitating this review. No other compensation was received and the views expressed here are my own.

0 comments: