Thursday, July 3, 2014

How to Make a DIY Cupcake Stand


DIY Cupcake Stand
Cupcake Stand
Make Your Own Cupcake Stand

Cupcakes continue to grow in popularity as the go-to dessert for birthdays. They are really easy to make and can look amazing even with minimal decorating skills. When my kids have larger birthday parties, I tend to make cupcakes because they are so much easier to serve. Tired of buying expensive displays, I decided to use my crafting skills and make my own cupcake stand for my son's 11th birthday this year. The stand was very inexpensive to make and I plan on changing the ribbons later and reusing it for another party. 

What you need:

  • 4 different sizes of foil Cake Drums (I used 14, 12, 10, and 8")
  • 3 styrofoam blocks (I found these for $1 each at my local Dollar Tree)
  • Hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • 1 small bottle of craft paint
  • 1 foam paint brush
  • 1 spool of ribbon

Instructions

Paint the foam blocks with desired paint color(s) and allow to dry completely
Glue ribbon onto the sides of each of the cake drums
Lay the largest cake drum on a table and glue one of the painted styrofoam blocks onto the top/center of the drum.  Hot glue the top of the same block onto the underside of the next smallest drum.
Repeat layers until there are four separate platforms for the cupcakes to sit.


This was so easy and a real cost saver! My son's birthday is next weekend so I will be sure to show you the stand with the cupcakes on it after the party. 


2 comments:

Jayne T. said...

The hot glue didn't melt the styrofoam at all?

This is really cute and I think even I could do it!

Jamie Z said...

My hot glue gun is a cheapy so it does not get too hot. It held great and no melting occurred!